Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial hospital
Bệnh viện ở Manila, Philipines
The Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital started as a six-bed capacity clinic called the “Maternity House” on November 9, 1920. This clinic, which was founded by then Chairman of Public Welfare Board, Dr. Jose Fabella, was originally located at Sampaloc, Manila. In 1922, the clinic added a pediatric section and a school of midwifery. In 1931, the control of the clinic was shifted to the Bureau of Health and again to the Bureau of Hospitals in 1947. It was in 1951 when the clinic was transferred to its present location in Santa Cruz, Manila. Unlike other Philippine government hospitals, there were no legislative act that permitted the creation of the hospital. Its present location was only legitimized by Administrative Order no. 140, which was issued by President Manuel L. Quezon on February 19, 1941. The Administrative Order recommended that the Bilibid Hospital will be used as a maternity hospital. On June 15, 1968 when the Maternity and Children’s Hospital was renamed as Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital in honor of the hospital’s founder. To date, it has an authorized bed capacity of 700.